Segmentation fault - mapserver - postgis

Nilsson Bengt bengt.nilsson at COMBITECH.SE
Fri Sep 14 04:26:31 EDT 2007

 Hi,

I'm not sure that it's a fastcgi problem.

As you can see from the postgresql log, postgresql reports a
warning: 'WARNING:  25001: there is already a transaction in progress'.

The cause of that, I guess, is that mapserver, in mappostgis.c, sends
(another) 'BEGIN'. During the first call it also sent a BEGIN. In
mappostgis.c
there is a check on the outcome of the BEGIN (if(!result ||
PQresultStatus
(result) != PGRES_COMMAND_OK) { ) and I guess that it won't be OK
because
of the warning.

Digging around in the postgresql.conf file gave me an idea of changing
the '#client_min_messages = notice' to 'client_min_messages = error'. As
understand that means that postgresql won't report warnings back to the
client, mappostgis, and thus the test won't fail.

I haven't got any 'Segmentation faults' from the application when
running it as a static server since my change so I guess I'm on the
right track.

I wonder why mapserver sends repeating BEGINs and no ENDs. I
can't find any code for sending an END. Normally, no fastcgi with
persistant
connections, it won't matter since I guess that a closed connection also

means 'END'.

/Regards Bengt