WMS Server: Filtering Raster/Vector data based on request params

Jeremy Nix Jeremy.Nix at SFSLTD.COM
Tue Sep 4 14:46:24 EDT 2007

Is it possible to submit a GetMap request that performs a filtering
mechanism on the fly?  In Geoserver, it is possible to pass an
additional parameter "FILTER" that accepts an OGC formatted filter
string where it is feasible to do commands like "PropertyIsEqualTo".  I
have a large shapefile that I built using the MosaicIndexBuilder from
the Geoserver project.  The image files that make up this shapefile are
not uniform in size, density, or color model.  These images have
surrounding borders and legends that will overlap other images.  If we
were dealing with only a handful of images I would set up the individual
files separately as different layers.  As it is, we have over 100K
images that fit this profile, so we've opted to go with the shapefile
solution.  As the images have been named using specific naming
conventions, we wanted to see if we could pass a request parameter to do
something like this:

FILTER=<ogc:Filter><ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo><ogc:PropertyName>location</ogc:PropertyName><ogc:Literal>FILENAME</ogc:Literal></ogc:PropertyIsEqualTo></ogc:Filter>

Is this possible.  If not, does anyone have a suggestion on how I can
implement this.  I was worried about the negative performance that would
most likely be involved with have a map file that consisted of 100K+
layers for all of our image files.

Thanks in advance for any help.