[mapserver-users] 500 Internal server error

Ignacio J. Moratiel imoratiel at tecnosylva.com
Wed Apr 2 02:52:50 EDT 2008

I've compiled and installed mapserver on Suse 10.0 and mapserv file is
on cgi-bin directory. When I try to run the scripts I get a 500 internal
error message.

I can read on this page
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/compiling_on_unix

/500 Internal server error: This is a fairly generic error message. All
it basically tells you is that the web server was unsuccessful in
running the program. You will have to consult the web server's error log
to find out more, and may need to enlist the help of your
webmaster/system administrator/

Mapserver creates a 0 bytes image in temp directory, and returns 500
error, so I think Apache is running program but mapserver fails.

mapserv -v returns:
MapServer version 4.8.4 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

Is there any way to check mapserv script is compiled ok? Should I check
other things?

Thanks for your help