[mapserver-users] Re: flash swf output

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 3 11:56:20 EDT 2008

Florin,

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of suggestions for the SWF output which would really
> help with making more interesting applications:
>
> -THE most important: name the objects in the swf so they can be
> accessed by ActionScript

  There is a bug on this specific issue
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2336. What was done here was to
name every instance with a unique name. Please look at it and
update/comment in that bug.

> -define the rollover, rollout, press and release actions in one
> prototype in the root.  this will not break any existing applications
> and will reduce file size a bit.
> -allow the user to set the amount by which the resolution can be
> reduced. how much is lost with FULL_RESOLUTION=FALSE ?
> -line thickness for vector lines
>
> I'd like to help work on some of these things,  but I need some
> guidance. Maybe a google summer of code thing? I am a student ....

I certainly would appreciate any contributions to this module. Usually
the approach would be to open a trac ticket in Mapserver, discuss the
issue there and hopefully provide a patch to solve the issue.

I would think these changes would be more appropriate to be dealt
directly instead of through the google summer code initiative. If we
were to completely rewrite the swf support, that could make sense for a
summer code. I also believe that It is a  bit late for this year to submit.

> Also, the page at
> http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/mapserver/dl/FlashMapserverUserDoc.html
> should be updated to indicate that the new version of XAMPP contains a
> compiled version of Ming 0.4 for Windows.

  I have added a documentation bug to move this document to the
MapServer site (http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2567). We can
review/change it when this is done.

Best Regards,

> Florin