[mapserver-users] Version problems with overviews

Jesse Cleary jcleary at email.unc.edu
Mon Apr 7 11:15:53 EDT 2008

Hi folks

Apologies for the re-post.  This went out initially prior to our
feedback loop last week and I thought it might have gotten lost in the
flood.  Or maybe I just can't take a hint...

---

I'm dealing with a server with several versions of MapServer on it.  We
are serving PNGs from the filesystem via CGI and working to speed up
performance.  I've been trying gdaladdo (-r nearest) to create overviews
for each image.  Mainly this works great and does give us the speed
increase I'm after.

However, some of the MS versions on this box balk once I create an OVR
file on any given PNG.  Upon calling the PNG in question, I get a 500
"Internal Server error" error from Apache (2.0.46).  So the exact same
CGI call works without an OVR file and gives me the 500 error with an
OVR file present.  The Apache error logs don't contain a record of the
500 error.  This is an issue because several existing web service hit
the problematic (and newer) version of MapServer and I don't want to
roll back to an older version which might have its own performance costs.

I'm a bit baffled - anyone else seen this kind of error with overview
files?  I'd like some possibilities before I go back to the sys admin of
the machine in question.  Sorry I can't provide more details, but it is
not my box.  Thanks so much folks - apologies for the sketchy details...

Jesse

This version of MapServer always works, *.OVR present or not:
MapServer version 4.1 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL
INPUT=SHAPEFILE

This version of MapServer only works with no *.OVR file present:
MapServer version 4.4.0 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=PDF
SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS
INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

--
Jesse A. Cleary
Department of Marine Sciences