[mapserver-users] using gdalinfo.exe

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 9 10:22:26 EDT 2008

Ken S. Elvehjem wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Thank you for the response.  Is there some other way to get some of  the
> "gdal  info" with a simple query?  I'm not stuck on using gdalinfo... it
> just seemed like a good idea.
>
> What I need is the UTM Zone -- that's already specified (I guess) in the
> EPSG statement in the mapfile.  Can it be extracted from there over the
> web by way of a URL / query?

Ken,

There is no stock mechanism for this, but you could write a custom
mapscript application to pick this information out of the map file and
return it as a web service.  I would note though that MapServer does not
normally provide access to stuff like file bounds to mapscript so there
it is hard to provide very much information using mapscript itself.

You could try setting up the dataset as WCS accessable, and then the
WCS DescribeCoverage method would provide a variety of information about
the file.

Best regards,