[mapserver-users] Mapserver + JSP/Java Web application

Umberto Nicoletti umberto.nicoletti at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 03:21:38 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Emilio Ponce <yosoycore at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm looking for your experimented opinion about one question:
>
> What's the best way to connect an application developed in Java/Jsp with
> mapserver? I have java vectors with alphanumeric info
> (integers,floats,strings) that I want to represent in a mapserver map
> (inside a layer Above the other layers). Is this possible? the best way is
> to use javamapscript?

I would say that javamapscript is not strictly necessary for this kind
of application.

If you just need a map with basic (but friendly, like goggole maps)
browsing capabilties I'd look into openlayers to provide the mapping
functionality.
Then I'd add a jsp or a servlet to the existing app so that it exports
the vectors into one of the many formats supported by open layers
like simple text
http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers/Layer/Text-js.html,
but there are of course many others
(http://dev.openlayers.org/apidocs/files/OpenLayers-js.html).

This is probably the best solution in terms of quality vs developer effort.

HTH,
Umberto