[mapserver-users] How best to serve very large (300GB) raster data?

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Sat Apr 19 01:30:39 EDT 2008

I've been using ESRI products for quite a while.  To serve a very large
raster dataset I have (about 300 GB), or really any raster or vector, I
usually just load the data into ArcSDE installed on Oracle and server
through ArcIMS.  However, I want to move away from ESRI/Oracle and into a
more open environment, with all components being open source if possible.

How best to serve a large raster dataset of about 300 GB?  My data is in
2010 tiles, each a 3-band TIF of about 135 MB.

>From my initial research, I like what MapServer can do and all of the
potential clients (OpenLayers, ka-Map, and many more.)  I also really like
PostGIS for vectors...and have already started a project with PostGIS
points, being maintained by Quantum GIS and mapped through Google Maps
Javascript API and some AJAX/PHP code I wrote.  My biggest worry is dealing
with the very large rasters.

Ideally, a tile server would be nice but I don't want to create the tiles
through an ESRI product (like Arc2Earth or HTMLImageMapper.)  I really like
the possibility of TileCache (http://www.tilecache.org/) working with
MapServer.  The immediate question is what would be the raster data source
to MapServer?   Should I create tiles inside each TIF using gdal_translate
and then a shapefile tileindex?  Maybe go with compressed JPGs instead of
TIFs since they usually have much smaller file sizes?  I'm not sure where
to start.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

- John

John Callahan