[mapserver-users] Large scale PDF output on Windows

Kristian Thy thy at 42.dk
Fri Apr 25 05:22:45 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, Flavio Hendry wrote:
> Discussed the issue a while ago with Frank Warmerdam. He had less
> problems on a LINUX System running on a 64bit machine (he supposes it
> could go as high as 25'000 pixels). On Windows 32 it bangs at around
> 10'000 to 14'000 pixels depending on content. Did not try on Windows 64.

Thanks to advice from the list, I now have huge orthophoto pdfs. But now
I have another problem - using png output, I get nice 24 bit images, but
my pdf output is dithered 8 bit. The relevant part of my map file:

    IMAGETYPE png24
    OUTPUTFORMAT
        NAME png
        MIMETYPE "image/png"
        DRIVER AGG/PNG
        EXTENSION png
        IMAGEMODE RGB
        TRANSPARENT FALSE
    END #outputformat
    OUTPUTFORMAT
        NAME pdf
        MIMETYPE "application/x-pdf"
        DRIVER pdf
        EXTENSION pdf
        IMAGEMODE RGB
        FORMATOPTION "OUTPUT_TYPE=RASTER"
        TRANSPARENT FALSE
    END #outputformat

Removing the FORMATOPTION makes no difference.

	http://quovadis.dk/dl/ortho.png
	http://quovadis.dk/dl/ortho.pdf

The commandline incantation used to produce the images:

	$ shp2img -m ddo.map -o ortho.pdf -s 1654 1169 -l DDO -e 659000 6058000 663200 6060970 -i pdf

Does the pdf driver support 24 bit at all? Can I do 24 bit pngs and
assemble the pdfs by hand?

\\kristian
--
... et nemo ex vobis interrogat me: »Quo vadis?«