[mapserver-users] Problems with TrueType Symbol and Linestyle after Switching to AGG

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Sat Aug 2 17:02:46 EDT 2008

I just built MapServer 5.0.3 with AGG 2.5 support on my FC9 box and
while my maps now look LOTS nicer, I noticed that the TrueType symbols
that I use for Fire stations now appear as an open box, and my railroad
lines have lost their crossties. When I use the GD driver in the map
file OUTPUTFORMAT section, these items still appear correctly. But when
I use the AGG driver they don't. Can anyone tell me what's wrong? (I've
been searching vain for some comprehensive MapServer-AGG documentation
but the only two docs I've found (the Migration_Guide and
AGG_Rendering_Specifics) didn't help me.

Here's how I've defined the fire stations in my symbol file:
SYMBOL
  NAME 'station'
  TYPE TRUETYPE
  FONT 'ers_ops_1'
  CHARACTER 'Y'
  ANTIALIAS TRUE
  FILLED TRUE
END

And here's how I set up that layer in my map file:
  LAYER
    NAME stations
    TYPE POINT
    STATUS ON
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    CONNECTION "FireStations.TAB"
    LABELITEM "Name"
    CLASS
      NAME "Fire Stations"
      EXPRESSION ([id] ne 6)
      SYMBOL "station"
      SIZE 32
      COLOR 255 0 0
      OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
      LABEL
        COLOR 0 0 0
        OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
        POSITION LC
        SIZE medium
      END
      TEMPLATE "/var/www/html/blt/longmont/stations.html"
    END
    TOLERANCE 5
    HEADER "/var/www/html/blt/longmont/stations_header.html"
    FOOTER "/var/www/html/blt/longmont/footer.html"

    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"
    END
  END

The rail lines ares set up like so in the symbol file:
SYMBOL
  NAME 'track'
  TYPE ELLIPSE
  FILLED TRUE