[MAPSERVER-USERS] Mapserver bug when generating a tiled map with MapFish

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Aug 6 10:28:19 EDT 2008

Pierre-Benoit,

Unfortunately for you, MapServer has no automated way to deal with
wrapping coordinates at the date line. If all your data is in the
[-180,180] range and you request a map for the [180,270] range then
MapServer doesn't find anything to render and returns a blank map.

You could possibly make a copy of all your data in the [180,540] range
by adding +360 to all longitude values. I don't know of any tool that
does that out of the box, but it should be easy to modify ogr2ogr to do
that for you if you are fluent in C/C++.

Another option might be to look at modifying the MapFish scripts to
handle the wrapping of coordinates at the +/-180 line and request maps
from MapServer with the correct extents.

Finally, we could possibly try to handle the wrapping in MapServer...
you could file a enhancement ticket about that. The addition sounds
simple at first, but I fear that it may be more involved than it seems.

Daniel

Pierre-Benoit Besse wrote:
> Isn't there anyone to help me with this ?
>
> 2008/8/4 Faldor <besse.pb at gmail.com <mailto:besse.pb at gmail.com>>
>

>     Hi all,
>
>     I use Mapserver with mapfish for the client side to display
>     shapefiles which
>     I generated using ogr2ogr.
>
>     The problem is when I try to display a tiled layer (mapfish singleTile
>     property set to 'false'). Some tiles are generated by mapserver entirely
>     blank !
>
>     After a few researches I think it is due to the fact that those
>     tiles are
>     extended "across" the -180°/+180° line.
>     For exemple, here is the imgext property from one of the calls to
>     MapServer
>     which render a blank tile :
>     imgext=178.59375+-1.40625+271.40625+91.40625
>
>     Do you know of a way to fix this ?
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Pierre-Benoît
>     --