[mapserver-users] OUTPUTFORMAT shapefiles instead of GML2/GML3 withWFS?

Kralidis,Tom [Ontario] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Tue Dec 2 07:35:34 EST 2008

Not that I know of.  Not out of the box.

> I would like to be able to output in GML2, GML3 and
> shapefiles... GML2 and GML3 work fine.
>
> The problem is that my GML files get very big, up to 60
> megabytes, and my client applications (like ArcGIS) do not
> handle that very well.

- would compressing (gzip/zip) help at all?
- you could write a mapscript WxS wrapper (see
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wxs_mapscript) to intercept a
GetFeature request (say, catching outputformat=shape), and transform the
GML response to a shapefile.

I'm guessing folks have done similar things w.r.t. shapefile
clip/download functionality.

..Tom