[mapserver-users] agg support and accents umlauts

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 15:01:46 EST 2008

2008/12/5 Knut Behrends <knb at gfz-potsdam.de>

> >I've noticed that rendering raster fonts when the character code falls
> >outside of the 23-127 domain may cause crash in mapserver. The
> >following patch provides a fix for the problem, however I consider this
> >as rather a bug in the AGG libraries
>

> This means that AGG has no ability whatsoever to deal with non-standard
> non-ASCII characters such as ä,ü, §, ß ? Is it really impossible to
> render vowels with accents, Umlauts, Sharp-S and so on with AGG? Then
> why has AGG been included into the mapserver distribution in the first
> place?

Hi,

Yes, you're right, the raster based text rendering capabilities are rather
limited, only a few set of predefinied glyps are selectable which cannot be
localized either. To define further characters you'll probably have to patch
something like agg_embedded_raster_fonts.cpp and define your own image
inside the code. But I don't think if it was a convenient way to do such
things locally.
However, I think you should be able to use the truetype fonts with agg to
display such fonts fairly well.

> Agg development seems to have stalled, doesn't it.

As far as I remember, there have been some efforts to take over some control
of the code in mapserver (at least for 2.4) and apply fixes if necessary,
but I'm not sure how do things stand in this topic at the moment.

Best regards.

Tamas