[mapserver-users] agg support and accents umlauts

Knut Behrends knb at gfz-potsdam.de
Mon Dec 8 03:40:50 EST 2008

> Coming out of nowhere and bitching on a project because you haven't
> understood the extent of a closed bug seems to me a very impolite way
> of introducing yourself and getting people to want to help you imho.

Sorry, I didn't want to sound impolite or offensive but it took hours to
get to the point where I had a working mapserver implementation with agg
 libs included. On Solaris they need so many dependencies and have to
compiled starting with the gnu autotools because there is no configure
script. Then I had to patch the makefile because there are 2 stdc++ libs
on my system that gave me linker errors.
After all this I got mapfiles that are unusable because placenames with
accents can't be displayed.
Before, on the 5.2.0 release, I got incomprehensible errors that really
puzzled me because the default extent(s) on my mapserver project
contains umlauts of cause.
On Solaris truetype fonts aren't included by default but have to be
installed manually as well.
And I didn't find much end user documentation on the internet dealing
with installing and configuring mapserver with agg support at all. (I
doubt that many users have got it to work or let alone use it in
production). The ticket was the only thing that pointed me to the cause
of the problem.
Maybe things are easier to set up on the win32 Platform but I doubt it.
IMHO, building mapserver with agg support is really a task for the
advanced  and patient admins, or do-it-yourself end-users.
I think these are issues that should be included in the call for
feedback on the documentation effort that was mentioned in another mail
on this list, a few hours ago.

Knut

> Now onto the points you're raising:
> - as Tamas said, there's no support for accented characters *with the
> embedded raster raster fonts*. Truetype fonts don't have this problem
> provided you use/specify the correct encoding of your text.
> - for the compile stuff, agg is mostly templated code which means that
> most of the agg code itself has to be compiled each time mapagg.cpp is
> compiled.

> thomas

- --

Knut Behrends                         Phone: +49 (0) 331 288 1688
Potsdam 14473                         KeyID: 0xF22CACEF (PGP Public Key)