[mapserver-users] How to use MINSCALEDENOM & MAXSCALEDENOM with dynamic image size?

John Maurer maurerj at nsidc.org
Mon Dec 8 19:44:53 EST 2008

Dear MapServer Users,
Defining a minimum and maximum scale denominator for a layer seems
problematic to me when the resulting image size can be arbitrarily
specified by the end user. For instance, doubling the image size (e.g.
400px to 800px) on the same map will double the scale denominator (e.g.
24,000 to 48,000)--a layer may display at one image size but not the
other because of this. A more useful criteria would be to specify the
minimum and maximum pixel size for a layer (e.g. 1 km and 5 km), which
is independent of the image size. This must be a common problem for
MapServer application developers since a WMS call requires an image
width and height. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? Or am I
understanding things incorrectly? Thanks for any help!
Best Regards,

--
John Maurer
Web/Database Applications Engineer