[mapserver-users] help with converting Geoserver site to Mapserver

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Tue Dec 9 12:21:01 EST 2008

Hi Justin,

  MapServer already supports shapefiles format as datasource ( .shp ).

  There is plenty of informations on MapServer website about how to
create your mapfile : http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server

  Go and see the "3.3   Sample WMS Server Mapfile" section.  This should
be a good start for you.

Hope this helps,

Alexandre

Justin Bailey wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I hope I can get some assistance on a matter of some urgency.  Our
> organization has been putting the finishing touches on an application
> that is supposed to be released by the end of the year.  Unexpectedly,
> it did not pass license review, because it used Geoserver, which is
> GPL-licensed.  Since Mapserver has a more permissive license, and is
> also WMS-compatible, the decision was made to switch to Mapserver.  It
> now falls to me, as the junior developer, to do a
> last-minute switchover.  Unfortunately I come to this task knowing
> nothing about either Geoserver *or* Mapserver.
>
> After some difficulty I succeeded in getting Mapserver running on our
> existing Tomcat server, but I have not been able to figure out how to
> convert the Geoserver data.  I have made some encouraging steps on the
> Mapserver tutorial but I still know nothing about Geoserver, and I am
> running out of time.  I need to solve this problem by the end of this
> week if possible, or by the end of next week at the absolute latest.
>

> So, I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a utility I could download that can convert a Geoserver
> installation to Mapserver?
>
> -- or --
>
> 2) I *think* (crossing fingers) that the only thing I need to do, on
> the application side, is to convert the following Javascript call...
>
> var wms = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS("World",
> "geoserver/wms?service=wms", {layers: 'countries', bgcolor: 0x000055});
>
> ...into its equivalent Mapserver call.  There are four countries.*
> files in the geoserver repository:
>
> countries.dbf
> countries.prj
> countries.shp
> countries.shx
>
> How do I create countries.map to serve these files, and what
> mapserv.exe call should I use?
>

> Many thanks for any and all assistance.
>
> Justin

Alexandre Dubé