[mapserver-users] regarding scalebar

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Dec 17 13:06:53 EST 2008

Dude, you need to be more patient, and it's not necessarily a simple question.

Anyway, near as I can tell there is no problem. I whipped up a little example based on your mapfile and extent, see:

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv50?map=/usr/local/www/docs_maps/testing/patra.map&mode=browse&mapext=-97.384655+49.697475+-96.877772+50.077168

The dx for your map (after adjusting to the requested map aspect) is .506883 degrees, so with width of the entire
map is 34.9952 miles  over 639 pixels (remember mapserver extents are pixel center to pixel center). Using  this we
 get that 6 miles should be 110 pixels wide. If you open the scalebar in something like photoshop the scalebar
is 111 pixels wide (really 110 when you take into account the pixel center to pixel center computation).

 34.9952/639 = 6/w, w = 109.55788, which rounds to 110

So the math works for me anyway given the bit of rounding that has to happen when creating and labeling the scalebar.

Steve

<f7bb15150812170624i2103a27djedab0a5a7d85305e at mail.gmail.com>, "Amiya Patra"