[mapserver-users] AGG OUTPUTFORMAT Question

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Dec 17 21:56:25 EST 2008

Steve,

  I use this OUTPUTFORMAT

OUTPUTFORMAT
   NAME png
   MIMETYPE "image/png"
   DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
   EXTENSION "png"
   IMAGEMODE "RGB"
   FORMATOPTION "PALETTE_FORCE=TRUE"
   FORMATOPTION "PALETTE=/path/to/palette.txt"
END

We've had good results with this in terms of colours - once you
identify the main colours you want to keep from the map file and any
images in your palette.txt file, GD seems to do a pretty reasonable
job of filling in the antialiasing colours

I'm not sure the extra quality that Thomas mentioned would be
noticeable, but I haven't tried it.  I think that it might be worth
running pngnq on tiles as well - not to reduce the palette but to
reduce the tile size, but I'm not sure on that.

Cheers

Paul