[mapserver-users] MapServer Symbol Conversion from Polyline Points

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 06:23:44 EST 2008

hi,

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:59, Donald Kerr <donald.kerr at dkerr.co.uk> wrote:
>  the maximum number of points that can be used
by default it's 100. you can change the MS_MAXVECTORPOINTS constant in
mapsymbol.h to change that limit.

> and the highest positive/negative numbers that can be used.
> I believe that "-99" works as 'pen up' but does that mean that -98 and 98
> are the maximum?
-99 is the reserved value for penup, ie you can use -100 for the actual points.

> Also, do the point values have to be integer values? If
> not, how many numbers after the point e.g. 1.12345 etc.
not necessarily integer. you can use as many numbers after the point as you wish

> If I take the polyline points like the following then the server throws a
> CGI wobbly and needs restarting:
>
>                -0.178,0.619
>        END # POINTS
> END # SYMBOL
you've got a comma here, the parser can't recognize two numbers

> If I take just part of the above then it still doesn't work:
>
> SYMBOL
>        NAME 'boulderGeometry'
>        TYPE VECTOR
>        FILLED FALSE
>        POINTS
>                -0.154 0.236
>                -0.111 0.365
>                -0.116 0.501
>                -0.165 0.616
>                -0.170 0.627
>        END # POINTS
> END # SYMBOL

there's a limitation with the vector code that expects  all values to
be positive when computing the symbol size. I'm hoping this will be
fixed in 5.4 / 6.0

regards,
thomas