No subject

Fri Feb 8 15:06:04 EST 2008

==================
The short answer is no, there is no map file keyword to indicate the field
to use as the rotation value.

The long answer is there are a couple of work-arounds that might work for
you:

1.  Use LABEL with POSITION CC and LABELANGLEITEM to indicate the field with
the rotation
        - if you want to have a text label along with the "symbol" then
you'll to define another LAYER just for that
        - this will only work for using TrueType fonts for symbols (it won't
work for Bitmap or Vector symbols)

OR

2. Create different symbols for the different directions, and then use CLASS
and EXPRESSION to assign the appropriate symbol for the different values in
the field.
    -  We used this method to show ship symbols based on a "heading"
attribute:

   CLASS
       EXPRESSION ([HEADING]<23 or [HEADING]>337)
       SYMBOL 'arrowup'
       SIZE 10
       COLOR 255 0 0
       OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
   END # CLASS
   CLASS
       EXPRESSION ([HEADING]>=23 and [HEADING]<67)
       SYMBOL 'arrowuprt'
         :

In this case we generalized the heading values to eight different symbols
representing eight points on a compass.

Brent Fraser