No subject

Fri Feb 8 15:06:04 EST 2008

ago (that I can't seem to find again now to clarify things) I think I know
the
answer to this, but I'm asking just in case it changed between older
versions
of mapserver and 5.0.0.

Suppose I want to do some kind of substitution or transformation on text in
the data that is used for labeling.  Like change street names from 'ALL
CAPS'
to 'Leading Caps' or change the label on a highway marker from something
like
'I-80' to just '80'.

I am aware that one way I could do this would be to add a new column to the
database with the text that I want, and use this column instead of the old
column.

But is there any way to do a substitution or transformation like this
directly
in the map file?  Perhaps via some kind of sed-like expression?  I suspect
the
answer is no.

If I use MapScript instead of a mapfile, I suppose as another alternative I
might be able to read the value, transform it in the mapscript language, and
then write it back, although I haven't tried this yet to see if it's doable.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to provide.

- Rich Fromm