[MAPSERVER-USERS] SUMMARY: SLD not working

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Feb 14 14:03:20 EST 2008

Paul,

> The problem was that the SLD that works fine in geoserver does not work fine
> in mapserver.

You are right, Userlayers are not supported.

> In MapServer, one must use sld:NamedLayer rather than sld:UserLayer.
> Further, the NamedLayer name must match the map file layer name.
>
> Jeff McKenna says it all in the docs:
> When MapServer gets a valid SLD through a request, it parses this SLD to
> extract
> all the styles attached to the NamedLayers, and then it applies these styles
> the map before it is returned to the client. When applying the SLD,
> MapServer
> compares the names used in the map files with the names of the NamedLayers
> in
> the SLD document.
> RE http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/sldhowto

  I have added a comment in the docs to clarify that part of the text:
something like : When applying the SLD, MapServer compares the <Name>
parameter of the NamedLayers in the SLD document to the wms layer names
(wms layer names are available with a getcapabilities request)
Saying that, the wms layer names exposed in the capabilities document
come from the layer's name in the map file so the previous text is also
technically correct.

Best Regards,

> For clarity, I never stated what I meant exactly by "not working."
> "Not working" in this case meant that the polygon was not being rendered.

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst

Email: assefa at dmsolutions.ca
http://www.dmsolutions.ca/