[mapserver-users] The right tool for the job

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Feb 20 13:27:25 EST 2008

Colin,

  The short answer is yes, MapServer is a good choice.

    The longer answer:  You can use Mapserver as a CGI syle
application or use a server-side scripting language such as
perl (see the MapScript section of the Mapserver how-to:
http://ms.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/) to access MapServer
functions.

  Make sure you read the New User page:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/new_users.

  Since you've got your source data already organized, and
Mapserver will supply the server-side functionality (except
for any Perl Mapscript coding you might want to do), likely
most of your effort will be on the client-side interface.
You'll need to select a toolkit if you plan on using a
browser:
    1. code your own html (and perhaps Javascript)
    2. html + dbox/jbox
    3. OpenLayers
    4. other...

Brent Fraser