[MAPSERVER-USERS] Mailing List Migration

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 18:13:01 EST 2008

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:39:59 -0500, "Frank Warmerdam" <warmerdam at pobox.com>
sent out mail about the mailing list moving from lists.umn.edu to
lists.osgeo.org.

The old list archives are available at:
  http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=MAPSERVER-USERS
The new list archives are available at:
  http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-users/
And the new list has the old archives migrated to it.

Why do posts keep showing up on the old list?  Should it perhaps be forced
be read only?

I use nabble.com as an interface for the mailing list (which I highly
recommend if you haven't tried it).  The old list here is at:
  http://www.nabble.com/Mapserver---User-(old)-f1215.html
The new list is at:
  http://www.nabble.com/Mapserver---User-f31321.html

Here the old list archives have not been migrated to the new list.  Which
isn't that big of a deal, as long as the old is old and the new is new.

But that's not how it is.  Although much less volume than the new list,
posts
keep showing up in the old list.  And because nabble has (imho correctly)
marked the old list as read only, there's no way for me to reply to a post
the old list using the nabble interface.  Unless perhaps I were to copy it
the new list, but then I assume that the original sender wouldn't even see
it,
if he/she were posting to the old list instead.

I think what needs to be done is that the old list needs to either be shut
down and instead bounce with a messgae telling you to use the old list, or
perhaps just act as an autoforwarder to the new list.  Or maybe I just don't
understand what's going on.  But something seems fishy to me.

- Rich