[MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS - GetCapabilities and version

Pål Kristensen pal.kristensen at statkart.no
Tue Feb 26 15:56:23 EST 2008

Hi!

I did a build of mapserver nightly this evening and noticed some changed WMS
behavior compared to my last build (approx 2 months ago). The old build does
reply to at GetCapabilities request that misses the version parameter with a
version 1.1.1 capabilities xml-file. The new build fails withe an error
message that says that the version parameter is missing. According to the
WMS 1.1.1 standard version is a mandatory parameter so the new behavior is
correct according to the standard. Unfortunately many of the clients around
do not comply with the standard, and of course the server gets the blame.

I guess this issue fall into the ongoing compliance discussion (RFC-35). But
what has changed over the last couple of month that introduced this new
behavior, and is there some keywords that can be set to achieve the old
behavior?

Regards
Pål Kristensen