[mapserver-users] Advice for MapServer project

Timothy Mashford tmashford at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 02:44:49 EST 2008

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I have seen OpenLayers, I am not sure it is suitable as I really
require a zoom-box tool (not shift-click), and also a separate layer
control.

I have found GeoMoose to be fairly slow(?), and also full of features
I don't require (e.g. slide zoom), although I guess these could be
removed. The Morton County example is good.

The reason I was thinking dbox.js was that it is fast & simple. But
once I get up to that stage I will investigate all options.

Can someone just help me understand how the postgresql database could
be queried for data within a specific date range? I am thinking that
the user could specify the dates in an initialisation page, and these
dates could then be stored at hidden CGI variables (or javascript
variables?). But if the data sources are specified in the mapfile, how
do I pass the dates to postgresql?

Sorry if my lack of knowledge is showing... Thanks again for the responses.

Tim Mashford.