[mapserver-users] Mapserver equivalent for .NET

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Feb 29 07:44:29 EST 2008

Tim Bowden wrote:

> <stirring the pot>
> I thought mapserver was distributed under a license that specifically
> and deliberately allowed this.  If this is considered undesirable,
> shouldn't it be released under a less permissive license?

You're correct, MapServer's license allows this, and I'd be the first to
object to a switch to a more restrictive license, that would complicate
things too much for when we deal with others who built stuff on top of
MapServer and are more open about it (if you want names, look in the
list of sponsors of the first few MapServer meetings).

That being said, I can still wish that they be more open and give credit
to MapServer for providing the core of their system, or perhaps spend
some time on this list helping users, or do something/anhything for the
project... for me it's a wish, not a requirement.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/