[MAPSERVER-USERS] postgres transaction warnings

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 13:58:21 EST 2008

Paul Ramsey-3 wrote:

> there is nothing actually being
> *done* to the database, so there is no need to COMMIT. If we didn't
> need to BEGIN to get our hands on a binary cursor, we wouldn't do it.
> The connection close in the end is our implicit COMMIT.

Ok, but is it maybe just considered bad form to have a BEGIN without a
COMMIT?  I don't know enough about SQL to say whether or not this is the
case.  Would it hurt things at all to include the COMMIT?  At the very
least, maybe a comment in mappostgis.c clarifying why a COMMIT is not
necessary might clarify things a bit.  The comment about why the BEGIN is
needed is indeed helpful.  (Although only located at 1 of the 5 BEGIN
instances, but perhaps that's sufficient.)

- Rich