[mapserver-users] Re: Symbol placement inconsistency

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Feb 29 16:28:30 EST 2008

The primary thing going on here is that MapServer computes label placement AFTER
features are clipped to the area of interest. It's a necessary step especially with
linear features as a single label point doesn't always make sense. Since the
algorithm places the label at the center of the longest segment the position will
often change from map to map with clipped features.

This can cause problems especially with tiled data output (e.g. TileCache or Ka-Map)
so a special processing option was put in place in the development version. If you
set:

  PROCESSING 'LABEL_NO_CLIP=1'

MapServer will compute label positions before clipping. I know that it works with
polygon data, not sure about linear features.

The metatiling features of TileCache and ka-map to a real good job of minimizing
these problems with linear data.

Steve

<3E2F6FCA-354C-4674-B331-AD1C502F9CC8 at mobilegeographics.com>, Hal Mueller