[mapserver-users] Re: Symbol placement inconsistency

Hal Mueller hal at mobilegeographics.com
Fri Feb 29 14:24:00 EST 2008

Dave, it looks to me like you're seeing effects of collision avoidance
in label cacheing.  I would expect those artifacts to be more extreme
near the edges  of the images.

I wonder what would happen if you greatly increased your edge buffer.
If you need a 4096x4096 tile, then produce a 12288x12288 (3x3) image
and carve out the central 1/9.  That would reduce the artifacts but
can't be guaranteed to eliminate them.  I think the only guarantee
would be to explicitly specify label locations, and turn off the label
collision avoidance.

I've copied this thread over to the new list, as the lists.umn.edu
address's demise is imminent.

Hal