WFS request options

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 3 16:13:09 EST 2008

On Thursday 03 January 2008, nelson guda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an odd request regarding WFS capabilities.  Is it possible to
> have a WFS mapserver request return gml results without the geometry
> data?
>
> I know that this seems odd, but it makes sense for what I am doing.
> I am using a WMS overlay to serve tiles for a large dataset to an
> overlay on google maps.  In order to query specific polygons from
> that dataset (a shapefile), I am using a WFS GetFeature request.  All
> I need is the id and other parameters of the feature, but not the
> geometry data (because it is already there from the WMS.  Right now I
> am just parsing out the info I need from the gml at the server level,
> but it would be much faster if I could get the WFS to return only the
> feature info minus the geometry data.  Is this possible?
>
> Thanks, and thanks for your previous help.
>
> nelson

If your data is stored in a postgis db, then it might be simpler to create a
php page which, based on GET arguments, could construct a spatial query that
only returns attribute data.

An example of an implementation of this model can be found here:
http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/soilweb_gmap/

The legend on the right panel is updated by calls to this page:
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/soil_web/reflector_api/soils.php?what=mapunit&bbox=-120,37,-119.99,37.01&legend_style=grouped

cheers,

Dylan

--