[mapserver-users] two questions

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jul 3 10:18:16 EDT 2008

Hi Carlos:

  1) MapServer does not have a built in routing solution. You might
check out pg_routing?

  2) Yes, you can find all points within a certain distance of another
point. That's basically a regular query, just be sure to set the
TOLERANCE of the layer containing the points your selecting against to
match your specified distance.

A little explanation on 2. MapServer's basic point query essentially
intersects a selection point with geometries. Works fine for polygons
since they have area. However, lines and points don't so we add area by
using the TOLERANCE/TOLERANCEUNITS layer properties (tolerances work
with polygons too). It's a bit backwards but in many ways more flexible
since you can define different tolerances for each layer. So, with one
point query you could find the exact county the point is in, hospitals
within 50 miles and airports within 200 miles.

Steve

>>> "Carlos López" <lopezris at gmail.com> 07/03/08 6:08 AM >>>
Hi

I would like to know, if it's possible to describe two point in a map
and
then get the track to go from de first point to the second point.

Other question is about if I sign one point in then map and then I can
get
other points around the first point in a distance that I selected
previously.

Thanks.