[mapserver-users] toWKT() method

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 12:39:12 EDT 2008

Sven Schroeter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using PHP-Mapscript with GEOS (Mapserver 5) to get a WKT-String from
> a POSTGIS-Table:
>
> $mywkt = $shpobj->toWKT();
>
> Everything works fine for POLYGON, LINESTRING and POINT - tables.
> If I try the "toWKT()" Method for MULTIPOLYGON-Tables I get back a
> POLYGON WKT-String.
> What can I do?

Sven,

The MapServer internal geometry model does not differentiate between polygons
and multipolygons so it is very hard to preserve the original multipolygon
without doing a great deal of processing on the rings held by mapserver to
determine whether they are really holes in a polygon or distinct polygons
in a multipolygon.

Basically, you are out of luck.

Best regards,