[mapserver-users] Poll: Do you think a standalone Mapfile editing tool is necessary?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jul 23 07:59:08 EDT 2008

On 23-Jul-08, at 5:03 AM, enri wrote:

> Hi, guys,
>
> I am planning to develop a stand-alone Mapfile editing tool for
> mapserver based map authoring by a way of WYSWYG, including symbol
> editing, because I find it's so difficult to use a text editor
> authoring a mapfile to render beautiful map. But I am not sure if
> it's usefule for you, or someone else has already done that.
>
> If you think that would be useful, please give me a vote and that
> will encourage me to contribute faster to the community. But if you
> find I am repeating others work, be kindly tell me please.
>
> enri

I can tell you that Quantum GIS' ability to style layers in a desktop
environment and export the layers as a mapfile is quite nice.  And
there is also a mapfile editor named Mapstorer that runs on a database
backend.

But it is a huge task to maintain such a project, as MapServer is
constantly changing and other technologies change (see MapLab).  That
said, yes we'd all love the perfect tool :)

---
Jeff McKenna
FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/