[mapserver-users] SCALE=AUTO applied to current view or entire layer?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 24 15:15:44 EDT 2008

John Maurer wrote:

>> I'm quite surprised at the behavior you report.  MapServer *should* be
>> computing a minimum and maximum for scaling purposes based on the data
>> loaded for the particular map draw request, not the layer as a whole.
>
> Hi Frank,
> Thanks for your prompt reply! And sorry for the false alarm. Your
> explanation helped me understand what's going on behind the scenes in
> MapServer for the SCALE=AUTO directive, and your suspicion was right
> about needing smarter min/max computation. It would be nice if there was
> a simple linear 2% contrast stretch available (cut off the least and
> greatest 2% of values), depending on how bad that slows things down. Is
> there some way to make this a request for some future version of
> MapServer? Thanks again!!

John,

Well, you could file an enhancement ticket, but I generally read them once
and then never review them so it isn't likely to have much effect beyond
my having read this email.

Ideally you would prototype an implementation of what you want, and file
it as a ticket with a patch.   I'd be much more likely to take some
time to apply such a patch even if I change it a bit.

Of course, if you wanted to fund the work, that would also work.

Lastly, if you made one of my clients realize they really want this, that
would also help!

Best regards,