[mapserver-users] compare date in class

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Fri Jun 6 21:02:04 EDT 2008

G'day Vinc,

It might be easier to code the expression check into the SQL
statement. I could be wrong, but I suspect that this would make the
execution of the statements much faster as well, as increasingly
complex expression checking I think is relatively slow in MapServer,
but shouldn't stress a database. (If I am wrong, it would be good to
know!!)

Off the top of my head, something like this might work:

>   DATA 'the_geom from (select the_geom, id, oid, ...., start_date
> from table) as foo'

Would become :

DATA 'the_geom from (select the_geom, id, oid, ...., start_date,

	CASE WHEN start_date < now()
		THEN 'old'
		WHEN start_date > now()
		THEN 'future'