[mapserver-users] Label display

Ken S. Elvehjem elvehjem at runestone.net
Wed Jun 18 08:21:19 EDT 2008

From: "Ken S. Elvehjem" <elvehjem at runestone.net>
To: "TC Haddad" <tchaddad at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] Label display
Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:15 AM

TC,

Yes, I don't have any control over that.  Yet.   The I-35 symbol and text are not issues, in this case, because they are closer to the center of the picture.

My center coordinates are selected from a list of land survey plots... in the north central US, the land was surveyed in plots of 1 square mile -- 640 acres.  The bulk of the individual fields in which I am interested (like 99.1%) will fall within the boundaries of that square mile, or section, to use the survey word.

However, the maps we create are used for navigating to the "correct" field by field crews, and we have found that the operator in the office that creates them is much happier (and more accurate) if they can see a margin around that section for context & landmarks. We try to have approximately 1/2 mile all the way around.

This operator draws in boundaries (using software I've written for the purpose) to mark the fields of interest, some of which extend past the edge of the section.  Then, so as to have a larger picture in the field, the picture is cropped some to get rid of some of the border.

Unfortunately, some of the roads begin at the section boundary and extend toward the edge of the picture, and those labels are then placed somewhere between the edge of the section and the edge of the picture, and these may end up missing from the final product.

The operator can put in those labels manually, but the whole point was to automate the process...

Sincerely,

Ken