[MAPSERVER-USERS] support for building mapserver on multiple platforms with a single src dir?

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 18:05:18 EST 2008

With only a single source directory, I'd like to be able to repeatedly
configure and build mapserver for multiple platforms.  In my specific case
this is debian sarge and debian etch, but that doesn't really matter as far
as
the question goes.

So let's say I'd like to have a layout like:

  src
  build/debian-3.1
  build/debian-4.0

Is there a simple way to do this?

I tried using the --srcdir option of configure.  For example:

  cd build/debian-3.1
  ../../src/configure --srcdir=../../src

But while configure runs and creates a makefile, it won't actually run:

make: *** No rule to make target `mapserver.h', needed by `libmapserver.a'.
Stop.

I also tried using the --prefix option, but this didn't work either, which
doesn't surprise me, since --prefix generally concerns where `make install`
places results, and that's not the issue here.  (I'm actually not running
make
install at all.)

Has anyone had any luck getting something like this to work?

- Rich