[mapserver-users] Linux installation

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Thu Mar 6 05:50:13 EST 2008

Hans Castorp schrieb:

> Hi to all,
>

> Until now I was using mapserver only under Windows environments but
> now I need to change to a Linux platform.
>
> My knowledge about Linux is very limited, so I will need some help:
>

> Is there any distribution recommended in order to run mapserver over it??
>
> Is there any tutorial or manual explaining how to install mapserver 5
> w/postgis over Linux??
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Hans Castorp

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 05/03/2008 18:38

Hans,

on this question you'll get as advices many  as there are
linux-distributions.

There are some "HowTo's" explaining step by step installation of
mapserver under different linux distributions
on the mapserver homepage: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto see
"compilation"

There are not all really up-to date, but as a borderline, they are good
enough.

If you want to hear my advice as well - Ubuntu or Debian is quite easy
to install.

Regards, Till

        digitale Karten für Jeden!
  terrestris bietet OpenLayers KnowHow!