[MAPSERVER-USERS] Need a little help interpreting an error.

Marwood SOUND.DESIGN at NTLWORLD.COM
Sun Mar 9 14:23:53 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm currently going through the 5th chapter of Beginning Mapserver, by
Kropla, and I'm trying to get the demo fourth.html working on my
installation.

The page comes up fine, but without a map image, or reference image, and if
I click on the map (to force an error message) I get the following:

getDouble(): Symbol definition error. Parsing error near ([):(line 194)

I'm pretty sure it's referring to my mapfile, but for one thing, that's the
very end - ie:  END # end of map file
The previous line is another END statement for the layer.

I can't see any obvious error, and the "[" character doesn't even occur in
the map file, so how the parsing error can be near one mystifies me a bit.
It could be a mapserver (Linux) environment problem, as I've found I can't
invoke shpinfo, gdalinfo and the like from command line.

Can anyone give me any pointers on how I can narrow it down a little?
(Mapfile below - mostly unmodified, only paths changed, and one font.)

Finally, does anyone have any pointers for any good discussion forums for
mapserver - I find mailing lists a bit clunky :/

Marwood

#####################################
#
# MapServer Fourth application
#

#####################################
# Map object
#
NAME "Fourth"                         # used as base image name
UNITS dd                              # units are decimal degrees
EXTENT -180.0 -85.0 180.0 85.0        # map extent
SIZE 640 320                          # map image size in pixels
IMAGECOLOR 200 225 255                # background color
IMAGETYPE gif                         # image type jpeg/gif/png
SHAPEPATH "/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/data/"          # path to
data directory
#FONTSET "/var/www/htdocs/fontset.txt" # pointers to fonts
FONTSET "/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/fonts/fonts.list"

#####################################
# Web object
#
WEB
    # A header/footer defined in a web object is displayed
    # before/after any individual query response is made.
    # It is displayed only once.
    #
   HEADER
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_web_header.html"
   FOOTER
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_web_footer.html"

   EMPTY  "/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_empty.html"             # URL
   TEMPLATE "/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth.html"
   IMAGEPATH "/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/"
   IMAGEURL "/files/maps/htdocs/tmp/"                        # URL

  #  HEADER "/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_web_header.html"
   # FOOTER "/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_web_footer.html"

#    EMPTY  "/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_empty.html"             # URL
 #   TEMPLATE "/files/maps/htdocs/fourth.html"
  #  IMAGEPATH "/files/maps/htdocs/"
   # IMAGEURL "/files/maps/htdocs/tmp/"                        # URL
END

#####################################
# Reference map
#
REFERENCE
    IMAGE
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_worldref.gif"
    SIZE 320 160
    EXTENT -180.0 -85.0 180.0  85.0
    STATUS ON
    COLOR -1 -1 -1
    OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
END

#####################################
# Querymap object
#
QUERYMAP
    STATUS on                # draw query map
    STYLE hilite             # highlight selected feature
    COLOR 255 255 0          # in yellow
    SIZE 320 160
END

####################################
# Country layer
#
LAYER
    NAME "Countries"
    STATUS on
    TYPE polygon
    DATA "countries"

    # A header or footer defined at the layer level is displayed
    # if that layer is a query layer. It is displayed only once.
    #
    HEADER
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_countries_header.html"
    FOOTER
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_countries_footer.html"

    TOLERANCE 1             # must be within 1 tolerance unit
    TOLERANCEUNITS miles    # units for tolerance values is miles

    CLASS
        # A template defined at the class level is used to
        # display the results for each reponse to a query. If a
        # query results in N hits, then the template will be used
        # N times. To be queriable a layer must specify a CLASS
        # level template.
        #
        TEMPLATE
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_countries_query.html"
        STYLE
            COLOR 199 199 199
        END
    END # end class
END # end layer

####################################
# Cities layer
#
LAYER
    NAME "Cities"
    STATUS on
    TYPE point
    DATA "cities"
    LABELITEM "CITY"        # labels use value in column "CITY"
    LABELCACHE on

    # A header or footer defined at the layer level is displayed
    # if that layer is a query layer. It is displayed only once.
    #
    HEADER
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_cities_header.html"
    FOOTER
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_cities_footer.html"

    TOLERANCE 1             # must be within 1 tolerance unit
    TOLERANCEUNITS miles    # units for tolerance values is miles

    CLASS
        # A template defined at the class level is used to display
        # the results for each reponse to a query. If a result set
        # contains N, then the template will be used N times.
        #
        TEMPLATE
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_cities_query.html"
        STYLE
            COLOR 0 0 0     # symbol color is black
        END
        LABEL
            TYPE truetype   # use truetype font
            #FONT "arialbd"  # use arial bold
             FONT "arial-bold"  # use arial bold
            SIZE 8          # use 8 point size
            COLOR 255 0 0   # color text red
            BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 255 255 # render text on white bg
            MINDISTANCE 50  # labels > 50 pixels apart
            POSITION lc     # center labels below feature
            ANTIALIAS true  # antialias the text
        END # end label
    END # end class

    # To use information stored in a DBF file external to a shape
    # file requires a JOIN. You must identify the external file
    # with the keyword TABLE. The NAME is the reference to use in
    # the template file. To link the shape to the external DBF,
    # FROM and TO specify the fields that must match.

    JOIN
        TABLE
"/home/g/i/gisel/public_html/files/maps/htdocs/fourth_join.dbf"
        NAME "test-join"
        FROM "CITY"
        TO "CITY"
    END
END # end layer

####################################
# Line layer for Country boundaries
#
LAYER
    NAME "Boundaries"
    STATUS default
    TYPE line
    DATA "countries"
    CLASS
        STYLE
            COLOR 0 0 0
        END
    END # end class
END # end layer

####################################
# Annotation layer for Countries
LAYER
    STATUS DEFAULT          # this layer is always rendered
    TYPE annotation
    DATA "countries"
    LABELITEM "STATE"       # labels use value in column "STATE"
    LABELCACHE on
    CLASS                   # class renders line & label
        STYLE
            COLOR 0 0 0     # line color is black
        END
        LABEL
            TYPE truetype   # use truetype font
            #FONT "arialbi"  # use arial bold
            FONT "arial-bold"  # use arial bold - as defined in fonts.list
            SIZE 8          # use 8 point szie
            COLOR 0 0 0     # color text black
            BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 255 255 # render text on white bg
            MINDISTANCE 50  # labels > 50 pixels apart
            POSITION cc     # labels in center of feature
            ANTIALIAS true  # antialias the text
        END # end label
    END # end class
END # end layer