[MAPSERVER-USERS] Centered multi-line labels

rich.fromm nospam420 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 18:10:02 EDT 2008

Rainer Spittel-2 wrote:

>   I wonder if it is possible to align a multi-line label centered at a
> location. At the moment, when using WRAP to define the end-of-line
> condition and the text appears left-aligned.

This is not currently implemented, but things like this are being considered
for the future:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/development/rfc/ms-rfc-40/
https://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/ticket/2383

What I do currently as a workaround is preprocess my the text of my label,
decide where I want to wrap them (which is better than WRAP anyway, because
I can more intelligently insert returns where I want them, and not for
instance for every space), and then for each line, fake center justification
by inserting spaces as needed.  It's not perfect, but it's good enough for
me.  And if you're willing to edit the font and create a more narrow space
character than what space gives you, you could get finer resolution.

- Rich