[mapserver-users] Farsi right-to-left labels

TC Haddad tchaddad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:37:24 EDT 2008

The Arabic and Farsi are going to have identical joining issues. So if
your code handles Arabic it *should* cover Farsi no problem.

In general joined letters are used in the middle of a word (like
cursive handwriting in english). Most Arabic words are composed almost
exclusively of joined letters. There is no such thing as "print" vs.
"cursive" - you would never write a multi-letter word using unjoined
letters in Arabic.

Unjoined letters are used when characters stand alone - either because
they are single-letter words, or because certain characters stand
alone by convention when used at the beginning or end of a word (sort
of like bookends).

The joined vs. unjoined version of any letter is stored in the font
just as an English font stores both lower and upper case characters.

Although the Arabic and Farsi look very similar, they do use slightly
different alphabets (some characters (and sounds) exist in Farsi that
don't exist in Arabic - maybe also vice versa).