[mapserver-users] MapServer and fastcgi-benefits?

Kai Behncke Kai-Behncke at gmx.de
Mon Mar 17 17:48:42 EDT 2008

Hello list,

I`m testing MapServer with fast-cgi to see if there`s a benefit in performance.

I succesfully compiled MapServer with fast-cgi, in my Apache 2.2 at Debian Etch the mod_fastcgi is activated, the httpd.conf has the needed entries and in my mapfile I set
PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
to a very "expensive" Layer (the data are shapefiles).

But if I check the performance with "siege"
(siege -c 4 -r 10 http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/wms_ogc/wms_server.map)
I don`t see any performance benefits in comparison to MapServer without fastcgi??

Am I do something wrong??
What is the benefit of fast-cgi?
Should`t it be faster than "normal"-cgi?

Thank you very much in advance, Kai