[mapserver-users] MapServer and fastcgi-benefits?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 17 19:28:31 EDT 2008

Kai Behncke wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I`m testing MapServer with fast-cgi to see if there`s a benefit in performance.
>
> I succesfully compiled MapServer with fast-cgi, in my Apache 2.2 at Debian Etch the mod_fastcgi is activated, the httpd.conf has the needed entries and in my mapfile I set
> PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
> to a very "expensive" Layer (the data are shapefiles).
>
> But if I check the performance with "siege"
> (siege -c 4 -r 10 http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/wms_ogc/wms_server.map)
> I don`t see any performance benefits in comparison to MapServer without fastcgi??
>
> Am I do something wrong??
> What is the benefit of fast-cgi?
> Should`t it be faster than "normal"-cgi?

Kai,

FastCGI can be helpful for layers with a high connection cost.  Even large
shapefiles don't take long to open so the benefit of fastcgi is negligable
(and in fact the shapefile layer type ignores CLOSE_CONNECTION).  The benefit
becomes significant with SDE, and Oracle layers primarily though I've heard
reports of measurable improvements with PostGIS or OGR depending on the
situation.

Best regards,