[mapserver-users] Running with MrSID (not scissors)

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Thu Mar 20 00:49:29 EDT 2008

Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> It might be good to share for what platform...

M hm. One item of note, is that the Linux version of the SDK is for
32-bit only, and will not work in 64-bit environments. Most sad.
LizardTech doesn't even have immediate plans for the next version, only
the idea that it will support 64-bit. Sigh.

> I suspect that the GDAL list would be a more appropriate place to
> inquire about GDAL support.

Indeed. I can provide a few pointers right here, though, before you take
it to the other list. :)

1. First you need to install the MrSID SDk, from LizardTech's downloads
area. After that, when you run configure, use --help and look for the
--with-mrsid option.

2. I have found the runtime performance of wavelet-compressed images
(ECW, JPEG2000, MrSID) to be unacceptable for my needs. Your mileage may
vary, but you may want to save yourself some trouble by fetching
mrsiddecode and extracting it to TIFFs.

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA