[mapserver-users] Resampling and image quality?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 00:45:43 EDT 2008

On 3/27/08, Gregor Mosheh <gregor at hostgis.com> wrote:
> I'll be on the plane all day tomorrow, on my way to DC for the
>  PostgreSQL East conference. If I don't reply, it's not personal. :)
>

>  P Kishor wrote:
>  > yikes! The ms2 version is fugly.
>

> M hm. This is the first time we've ever compared the PNG with the
>  Mapserver output side by side, especially in a situation where the
>  raster has text in it, so I'm also surprised!
>

>  > This sounds really silly, but have you tried with exactly the same
>  > image in both instances? That is, not the sliced version for
>  > MapServer, but exactly the same one you have for Google Maps?
>

> The one I'm given for use in Mapserver, is the same PNG except left
>  whole and with a world file added. The "plain PNG" version is sliced for
>  use in a GTileoverlay, but is otherwise the same.
>
>  Or did I misunderstand the question?

Actually, I misspoke, nevertheless, you misunderstood as well.

I understand that you start with the same PNG, then you duplicate it,
slice one of them up for GMaps, and serve the whole one to MapServer.

What I meant to say was -- use exactly the same PNG for both tests;
that is, either use the sliced one for both GMaps and MapServer, or
the whole one for both.

I know this sounds silly, but hey, it eliminates even that remote possibility.

In any case, the problem is probably somewhere else.