[mapserver-users] about Obtaing high performance in the map server response

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Nov 6 16:37:47 EST 2008

Do you have spatial index on all you geometry columns

create index <table>_gidx on <table> using gist(the_geom);

do this for each table and replace <table> wit the table name.
then do:

vacuum analyze;

If you are zoomed all the way out and displaying all the data, then this
is the worse case and it may be slow. Does it speed up as you zoom in?
Is the speed acceptable as you zoom in?

Do not display so much data as you zoom out and it will be faster. There
you can generalize the data for when you zoom out. and then use
MINSCALEDENOM and MAXSCALEDENOM to turn off the detail data layer and
turn on the generalized data layer.

-Steve W.