[mapserver-users] Adding symbols on top of polyline elements

Adrian Popa adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro
Mon Nov 10 06:01:19 EST 2008

Hello Thomas,

Thank you very much for your tip! It's great.
However, I have a question: How can I select the direction of the arrow?
I mean, between A and B I have a road segment:

A----------------B

Right now, it renders as A---->---->----->-----B, but I want it to
render as A----<------<-----<------B.

My question is: how does mapserver select the order of A and B? If I
understand this, I can create another symbol and use it for the reverse
path.

Thanks,
Adrian

thomas bonfort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for repeated arrow symbols, you can use a truetype (or image, or
> vector) symbol, with a negative GAP:
>
> SYMBOL
>  NAME oneway
>  TYPE TRUETYPE
>  CHARACTER '>'
>  FONT arial
>  GAP -20
> END
>
> and then in your layer:
>
> STYLE
>  SYMBOL oneway
>  SIZE 8
>  COLOR 0 0 0
> END
>
> cheers,
> thomas
>
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:51, Adrian Popa <adrian_gh.popa at romtelecom.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I have a map that displays roads stored in a polyline format. I would like
>> to mark one-way streets with an arrow symbol drawn on top of the road
>> itself. The symbol can be as small as possible (for beginning I would like
>> to be able to superimpose it anywhere between the street ends, and later on
>> I will lock it to be next to one of the ends).
>>
>> I can already select the one way streets based on the following template:
>>
>>   CLASS
>>
>>      Name "OneWay"
>>
>>      EXPRESSION
>> /^FO040127$|^FO040132$|^FO040139$|^FO040120$|^FO040104$|^FO040131$|^FO040146$|^FO040129$/
>>      STYLE
>>
>>         COLOR 255 0 0
>>
>>         WIDTH 4
>>
>>      END
>>
>>      LABEL
>>
>>          COLOR 0 0 255
>>
>>          TYPE TRUETYPE
>>
>>          FONT arial
>>
>>          SIZE 8
>>
>>      ANTIALIAS TRUE
>>

>>          POSITION AUTO
>>

>>          ANGLE AUTO
>>          PARTIALS TRUE
>>

>>          MINDISTANCE 0
>>

>>          BUFFER 0       END
>>

>>  END
>>
>> Can you show me an example of how to draw such a symbol on top of the layer?
>> Thank you
>>
>> Adrian

Adrian Popa

Network Engineer
Romtelecom S.A.
Divizia Centrul National de Operare Retea
Departament Transport IP & Metro
Compartiment IP Core