[mapserver-users] Documentation for serving large raster images using tile cache.

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 12:35:16 EST 2008

Hi Asif,

My apologies.  I saw your message Friday evening but forgot about it over
the weekend in the course of reinstalling my Linux OS.  If time is of the
essence, posting your question to the entire list should ensure a speedier
response.

Regarding your questions:

1) I am not aware of any applications that will act as viewers for Mapserver
operating in "map" mode.  They may exist, but I'm not familiar with them.  I
tend to use Mapserver in only one of two ways at the moment; in "map" mode
to generate static maps, in "wms" mode with a connection to it via
OpenLayers (or TileCache).

2) Regarding the path to your mapfile, I believe there are several solutions
that you can try if your goal is to shorten the URL string.  They are
well-explained here -
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server/#more-about-the-online-resource-url.
As far as why the 1st URL doesn't actually work, it's because the path
should be relative to the mapserv.exe location in cgi-bin, not to htdocs.
So try this instead:

-
http://localhost:9090/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=../htdocs/mapdemo/itasca_demo.map&mode=map<http://localhost:9090/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/mapdemo/itasca_demo.map&mode=map>

Roger