[mapserver-users] WCS time support bugs

Armin Burger armin.burger at gmx.net
Mon Nov 10 13:20:57 EST 2008

Alex

during the tests I noticed 2 shortcomings of the patch for the
'wcs_timeposition', both are a bit correlated with each other:

If a request contains a timestamp not available in the Postgis table
then an empty image will be sent back to the requesting client. A better
solution would be to check the available dates in the PG table and
return a service exception in case the requested date is not there.

Another problem is that clients will have no possibility to know which
dates are really available when supplied with a range. The only WCS
client I found so far that supports WCS-T is gvSIG. But this client just
offers the time range definition for selection, so it will not work. A
solution could be that the DescribeCoverage response reads all available
timestamps from the tileindex layer and returns a single entry for all
of them in the returned XML.

Both modifications would require to dive somewhat deeper into the code
and understand where and how the link between WCS layer and tileindex
layer is made and how the info from the PG tileindex layer is retrieved
from PG. I unfortunately doubt that this will be of high priority to the
main developers.

Greetings, Armin